Wednesday, January 19, 2011

Stop Planning Your Life

"What will you do when you graduate?"  


That is a question I hear a lot.  My sincere response is: "I don't know for certain."  


None of us know the future.  I could die tomorrow.   Death is a very real possibility when any of us step into a car.  Yet, we behave as though we are able to have some control over our situations, enabling us to plan our lives years into the future.  We plan for school, for work, for family, for retirement.  When do we plan to let God lead us?  When I say I know what I would like to do after school, I am inherently saying I know what will happen between now and then.  I am saying, I can do fine without following God, but following myself.


I am so arrogant, so foolish, and so head-strong, when I plan my life, when in truth, my life is so brief.  I am spitting in the face of the best possible Planner, of the Creator, of my Savior.
13 Now listen, you who say, “Today or tomorrow we will go to this or that city, spend a year there, carry on business and make money.” 14 Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow. What is your life? You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes. 15 Instead, you ought to say, “If it is the Lord’s will, we will live and do this or that.” 16 As it is, you boast in your arrogant schemes. All such boasting is evil.  -James 4
My life is a "mist," something that dissipates quickly.  Why do I care if I can plan my life, if God has it in His hands?  When I try to take it from Him, I declare myself to be the Alpha and the Omega, the All Knowing One!!!  What a sin.  The worst sin.


What I ought to do, is let him plan, lead, and provide.  
6 Do not be anxious about anything, but in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. 7 And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.  -Philippians 4  
By declaring ourselves Christians we proclaim Christ as the center of our lives.  Do we behave as such?  Are we concerned about the physical when it was created through Him?
25 “Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothes? 26 Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? 27 Can any one of you by worrying add a single hour to your life?  -Matthew 6
Therefore, let us acknowledge Him in everything.  Not claiming Him as simply our co-pilot, but the manufacturer, road constructor, pilot, and everything else.  We are simply here for a moment to serve, not plan our lives.  Let us help one another in remembering that.

Blessings.

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful insight! This post helped put so much into perspective for me. Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete