Tuesday, October 19, 2010

It's Not About Me

I think about myself often.  Admittedly more often and more highly than I ought.  Most of us have this problem.  Our surroundings don't help us.  Everywhere we look we see advertisements and people telling us that our lives are about us.  Perhaps you would agree with me when I say we are a bit conceited in this day and age.  And perhaps you might agree that God has much more of which to be proud than we do.  However, somewhat ironically, Jesus did not act as He had right to act, drawing glory to himself at every moment while on this earth.  Instead, we see in Him a very different attitude, an attitude of a servant.

When he had finished washing their feet, he put on his clothes and returned to his place. "Do you understand what I have done for you?" he asked them. "You call me 'Teacher' and 'Lord,' and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another's feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. I tell you the truth, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. -John 13:12-17
"Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others. Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus:  Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant." -Philippians 2:3-7
 How often do we wake up in the morning and think to ourselves, "how can I serve everyone I see today?"  I have never done that, yet we are all called to a humble life of servanthood.  My life isn't about me and your life isn't about you, it's about the way Christ gave you life, it's about His Love and Grace.  So, let's go serve... everyone (even those who hate us and those we hate).  Let's go love with everything in us.
"By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." -John 13:35
So, what are we waiting for?  Go serve someone today.

No comments:

Post a Comment