Thursday, September 23, 2010

Mr. Isaac McCoy

Isaac McCoy was one of the first and most dedicated Baptist missionaries to the Native Americans after American independence.  His life has become the object of a paper for one of my classes.  From what I have read thus far, Mr. McCoy's dedication, perseverance, faith, and love are comparable to any man who has called himself a Christian.  The following excerpt comes from a book he published regarding his missionary experiences.

"It was on the 27th of October, 1818, that we set out for the mission premises, a distance from our former residence of ninety miles.  My commission from the board had ere this expired.  With my wife and seven small children I went into the wilderness, to seek an opportunity of preaching Christ to the Indians, without promise of patronage from anyone, looking to Heaven for help, and trusting that God would dispose the hearts of some, we knew not who, to give my family bread, while I should give myself wholly to the service to the heathen."   - McCoy, "History of Baptist Indian Missions"

No comments:

Post a Comment